"In The Streets" (from the Jay Love Japan LP, 2008; Operation Unknown). Like a lot of Dilla's stuff, this was released posthumously. It's a highlight from Jay Love Japan; a dark and slow instrumental track. Listen to how he chops the samples: the faint funk-guitar plucks, the fucked up angular vocals and off-beat shaker, tied-together with a highly compressed rim-shot.
"Intro - Alt (instrumental)" (from the Ruff Draft LP, 2003/2007; Mummy/Stones Throw). This brief track slowly crawls along, dressed in a haunting, tremulous sample and teeming drums.
"Anti-American Graffiti" / "Waves" / "Stepson Of The Clapper" (from his masterpiece, Donuts, 2006; Stones Throw). There's really nothing I can really say about Donuts that hasn't already been said. I'd never heard anyone chop samples the way he did on this record--it still fucks with my head after hearing it hundreds of times. It's just an album that I never get tired of.
"Fuck The Police" (from a S/T 12" vinyl single, 2002; Up Above). Subversive! This is a great song about power-abusing Men-in-Blue, aka pigs. The flute sample is neat, and I really like the drum break Dilla chose. He actually could rap, even though most people didn't understand why his delivery was often off-beat.
Finally, this great tribute to Dilla, by the talented and often-compared Flying Lotus. "Fall In Love" (I don't think this ever had an official release, but it's from '06 or '07). Same lush sample that Dilla used for Slum Village. It's a nice tribute.Dilla could sing too:


